Harry’s Pledge – our commitment to carers
The social housing sector is proud to care. From providing homes with specialist care and support, to offering care services to people who want to live independently at home, we are committed to caring for our communities.
Harry’s Pledge focuses on four areas where we can support those who need care and those who provide it.
You can show your commitment to carers by signing up to Harry’s Pledge
- We will be a carer friendly employer.
- We will do all we can to support people with caring responsibilities who work for us by making our policies carer friendly.
- We will ensure people can work flexibly to fit paid work around unpaid caring responsibilities.
- We will provide platforms and support for those who are carers to tell their stories, and to tell us what more they need from us as employers and housing providers.
In our workspaces:
- We will make the offices and community spaces we offer as accessible as possible. For example, we will install “Changing Places” toilets in any new buildings that are open to the public and look to retrofit existing public spaces.
In the homes we provide:
- We will build more fully accessible homes.
- We will routinely consider accessibility when developing new homes and within our existing stock.
- We will consider our housing management policies and how they impact on disabled residents and their carers.
- We will collect insight data including information on disabled residents and residents that are carers, with the aim of providing services that can support them.
For our paid Carers:
- We will work with partners to professionalise care further with clear qualifications and career paths.
- We will promote care as a valued career choice.
- We will lobby for changes in pay and rewards for carers.